Return to Main Site   SearchFAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist   Memberlist   Join the Forum  Join the Forum  Profile   Profile  Log in to check your private messages   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  Log in 
Christmas Wishes 2012

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Current Radio Drama
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Christmas Wishes 2012 Reply with quote

With the big day just over a month away I thought I would turn back the clock and remember Radio Christmases past. If I could be bothered to buy this year’s double issue Radio Times what would I want to see? You never know there may be a BBC producer looking.

Firstly as season of 90 minute plays running from Christmas Eve to New Year’s day would be obligatory. My previous favourites have been Murder and Crime for Christmas. This year how about “Christmas Adventures” a series of plays where crime may take place, but the thrill of the chase takes centre stage. It would give the BBC to produce some of the more unusual Agatha Christie stories such as “They Came to Baghdad”

On Christmas Day after the Queen we could all sit down to a feature length (BBC code for 90 minutes) production of Ngaio Marsh’s “Tied Up In Tinsel”

There would also be a 5 part daily series running during Christmas week. An ideal chance to dramatise Terry Pratchett’s “Hogfather”

As with previous year there should be a few one off specials such as “Count Arthur Strong’s Panto” and “Christmas On Mardle Fen”

Finally a couple of 90 minute plays at the weekend was the norm and therefore features as part of my 2012 plan. Wouldn’t it be great if the BBC could go back to old habits and let an established radio writer such as Mike Walker, David Ashton, Simon Bovey etc write whatever they want.

What would be on your schedule ?
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your suggestions would most definetly meet with my approval.

A play set in medieval times by perhaps Lindsay Clarke or Peter Roberts would really be of interest as well.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Raymond

I guess anything other than the non-event Christmas has become on recent years on Radio 4 !!!
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly a Christmas gift, but the December 9th broadcast of the Van Der Valk play "King Of The Rainy Country" a first for Radio4 Extra, is a welcome 90 minutes in the company of Martin Jarvis.
His work on radio has not always been enjoyable, but "A Vital Flaw" was relatively recently played on R4X and was quite good. And he has at least added to the cause of a 90 minute play with his work on the recent James Bond dramatisations.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to record the play on the 9th as it may serve as an upgrade to the version I have.

It’s funny how Martin Jarvis splits the radio audience. He has been involved with radio drama for many years and now, of course, has his own production company.

Like many other regular radio actors his voice is very distinctive and perhaps this gets in the way of imagining a character that looks anything other than like Martin Jarvis !!!

It also appears, to my mind, that even when radio drama production decreased, Martin’s own output remained the same. This can give the impression that Radio 4 Drama has become his own personal plaything. Favourite play featuring Jarvis “Other Paths to Glory “
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Martin Jarvis is more active at Radio Four as a producer than an actor,so those in charge do seem to continue to favour him in that role. The Afternoon Plays that he and his missus had a hand in were ones I tended to avoid.

Apart from all that, the new McLevy series is one I continue to enjoy, and its great that R4X has dug out the first series of Raffles to at least complete the story. "Something Wicked This Way Comes" by Ray Bradbury is something I shall lend an ear to on Friday night as well, having missed an earlier broadcast, especially as I like Kenneth Cranham's radio voice/work.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Don’t start me on McLevy – It is fantastic !!

There is something so magical and gripping about the series. I always feel like I am “on the saunter” with McLevy and Mulholland – they just forget to talk to me !!!

I am always amazed about how much activity takes place within the vicinity of the Bawdy House. They always say that people write about what they know, so I would be interested in Mr Ashton’s explanation !!!

This aside I love McLevy, it is worth the licence fee on its own.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Current Radio Drama All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: