Return to Main Site   SearchFAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist   Memberlist   Join the Forum  Join the Forum  Profile   Profile  Log in to check your private messages   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  Log in 
Christmas 2010

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Current Radio Drama
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Christmas 2010 Reply with quote

With December nearly upon us, my mind automatically turns to the Christmas radio schedules.

As somebody who first started listening to radio drama in the late 70ís Christmas was a real treat with an abundance of 90 minute dramas, serials, one of comedy shows etc. Alas all that seemed to stop in the mid 90ís. As best all we can hope for is an extended afternoon play on Christmas Day. Shame.

For the past 15 years I have reviewed each Christmas edition of the Radio Times thinking it surely canít get any worse than this, but each and every year Radio 4 manage to underwhelm me even more than the previous year.

2010 has been an awful year for me, but perhaps the year, Radio 4 can reverse the trend and give us a Christmas to remember.
missluzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I share you wished but think you will be dissapointed
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just seen the 2010 Christmas Radio Times on sale. I will take some time to go through it and get back with my thoughts. All opinions welcome.
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed the Radio 4 fare at Christmas (or indeed any Bank Holiday where there might have been a gleam of a special play) is now past. Radio 4 Exta seems to have picked up the slack with admittedly repeats, but at least an effort is put in.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of radioís most popular writers, Ken Whitmore said that he had stopped writing for radio because there are no longer any big events on it.

There was a time when I would collect Radio Times and the publication of the Christmas edition was a special event in itself. I would buy it as soon as it came out (around the first week of December), I would immediately turn to the radio pages and start to list the hours of treats in store for the radio listener. A serial throughout the Christmas week Ė a full 90 minute play EVERY EVENING and many throughout the day.

As a mark of how dire things have become, I stopped buying Radio Times 3 years ago !!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Current Radio Drama All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: