Return to Main Site   SearchFAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist   Memberlist   Join the Forum  Join the Forum  Profile   Profile  Log in to check your private messages   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  Log in 
Simon Bovey

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Writers and Producers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Simon Bovey Reply with quote

I really enjoyed Simon Bovey's Mountain of Light broadcast last Saturday (19th June 2010). He also did a really good detective story called The Iceman a couple of years ago.

I thought the detective character in The Iceman was really quite strong and I was hoping for another play or even a series, but alas nothing yet.

This writer would really have done justice to the 90 minute format and I hope he gets the opportunity.
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon Bovey has had a few 45 minute plays as well. "Severn Sea" is one favourite of mine, its a tale set during the War Of The Roses and about trying to escape from Britain by one of the protagonists.
He also wrote that excellant sci-fi series "Slipsteam" that pop's up on Radio 4-Extra on occasion.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must try to track these down.

I enjoyed "Sargasso" (hope I spelt it correctly), and a play called "The Iceman". I am sure Simon Bovey wrote both of these and I really enjoyed them.

It is nice that writers still take the time to write for radio. I guess it doesn’t pay very well and you are lucky if you even get an hour these days, which I would imagine can be a barrier to creativity.

Unfortunately the BBC will no longer give 90 minutes to completely new and original material. Shame because I think if Mr Bovey was given this time he would come up with a corker !!!
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually his plays are produced by Marc Beeby and his work is always worth checking out as well, especially the "Pilgrim" series of plays that he has had a big hand in.

As for Simon Bovey, checking out his site he seems to be moving into films which I am sure would be more lucrative, but he certainly has written plays for the radio that appeal to me, and yes "The Iceman" did lend itself to being a series, if he so felt inclined. And indeed that and "Mountain Of Light" would have been even better if the tales were more relaxed in the 90 minute format.

But there again I wish that David Ashton had made a series of "Dr. Johnson's Dictionary Of Crime", though of course he was well wrapped up in the McLevy series which would stretch his capabilities to do both. At least there was one 90 minute Christmas McLevy story, and the odd thing about the last two or three series there has been two linked 45 minute tales worthy of stitching up to 90 minutes!
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a treat the Christmas McLevy was.

I agree the more recent series of McLevy have had a common story running across several episodes.

David Ashton is an excellent radio writer, and one of those who has a distinctive voice in his writing. He did of course write for Saturday Night Theatre – “Death of a Fly” and “The Windbear”. Both of these plays benefit from the tension that can only be built over time. The cat and mouse game played between the police and the taxidermist in “The Windbear” just couldn’t be achieve in a 45 minute afternoon drama.
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Windbear" has joined the Radio 4 Extra series of plays, so it will crop up again, it is especially interesting to me living in Isleworth where the action takes place, the planes passing over me is not as bad as the play depicts - but there again the flight path may have changed since then - plus double glazing does help.

He certainly brought the cat and mouse effect to the last three series of McLevy with three 90 minute tales - admittedly spread within two 45 minute episodes.
That is perhaps all he could do to get a 90 minute story going within the constraints placed by the beeb in these times.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard rumours that McLevy was being made into a series by Scottish Television, but that was a while ago.

I agree with your previous comment that “Dictionary of Crime” deserved a chance at becoming a series.

I can’t help it but I do love a good period detective story !!
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, last Christmas at the end of series 8 of McLevy they did mention they will be back for a new one this year.

Yes the period crime stories do have a fascination with me too, the "London Particulars" was another series I liked, as well as the "Dickens Confidential" couple of series.

Incidently, I tried to send a email with some catalogue information, but I could not send it as I have just a Hotmail account which is not compatble to your address without me having to set up a new account (bit beyond me at this time).
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I received your email – thank you. I will reply soon.

I really appreciate you posting on this forum, it has been around for a while but not very well used. Perhaps we can generate a bit of interest here.

Thanks
DG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Writers and Producers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: