Return to Main Site   SearchFAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist   Memberlist   Join the Forum  Join the Forum  Profile   Profile  Log in to check your private messages   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  Log in 
1960 "the key man"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> My First Saturday Night Theatre
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dechenradio

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:05 am    Post subject: 1960 "the key man" Reply with quote

Hi all, I can well remember my first Saturday Night Theatre, it was "the key man. In those days, I had normal hearing but was born with out sight.
Radio meant so much to me. I was just eleven and Key man scared the living daylights out of me.
It had a very hornting Jazz clarionette solo as I remember. Also, the plot was extremely scarey, though I didn't quite understand it at that age.
I had just received my first Radio and we were on holiday.
From that day onwards, I always looked forward to every Saturday on the old "home service"
1960 was a wonderful year for plays.
Michael Gerwat.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Michael

Thanks for your posting. The Key Man would have been broadcast before I was born but I bet I can track somebody down who has a copy.

DG
PaulEHudson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I cannot recall the first one I ever heard at all but the wireless was always on in our prefab and plays were a great part of the entertainment. I would need to listen to some around 1956-1960 to see if I recalled any.

Paul
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Paul

Welcome to the forum.

I know I am sounding like a very old man, but todays radio audience wouldn’t understand how important radio was as a non-music entertainment medium and how it was the heart of every home. I was born in 1962 and in reality my parents were already converted to TV, but radio was still catering to a much wider audience than it does these days.

The BBC say they simply responded to a change in audience needs, but I always wonder if they gave in too quickly and brought about the change themselves. Every time I listen to a SNT that was just written for radio I realise that I am never going to have that opportunity again. While many original 45 to 60 minute plays are produced nothing in my view can crate that magic and depth of a 90 minute drama.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> My First Saturday Night Theatre All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: