Return to Main Site   SearchFAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist   Memberlist   Join the Forum  Join the Forum  Profile   Profile  Log in to check your private messages   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  Log in 
MP3 Recording Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Recording and Archiving
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: MP3 Recording Problem Reply with quote

Can anyone help with an occasional problem I have with MP3 files.

I am transferring a number of tapes to MP3 and them burning them to CD. Every so often I get a track that just won’t play. I have tried all of the following :

Burning another CD
Re-sampling the track at a different bit rate.
Re-recording as a .WAV file and converting to MP3
Using a different CD/DVD player
Inserting / pasting into the middle of a blank MP3 file.

No matter what I do it is always the same track that won’t play.

The tracks do play on PC where I read them with “Media Player” or similar software.

Does anybody else have this problem, or is it just peculiar to me !!!!
rvod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Recording problem. Reply with quote

Hi. I am new to the forum, and am very curious about your problem with recording. The only time I have anything like your difficulty it is generally the quality of the disc that is to blame. Your computer being able to play a disc which players have problems with would be consistent with this situation.
Have you tried reburning with a different brand of disc - I would suggest using the best you have.
Is your burning program being interrupted during the process - I tend to switch off everything possible, especially my email checker (Outlook Express) during any burning procedure.
The fact that 'it is always the same track which won't play' could suggest that a fault is being induced in the particular track, perhaps because there is a spike of very high volume. If this is the cause then perhaps making a recording of the offending track in several sections, to narrow down the problem area could help. Most programs used to record sound onto computer will display a 'waveform' graphic. By zooming in on a suspect area you should be able to see if there is an unusual peak. If so, this area can be highlighted and cut, just like a piece of text, without affecting what the listener appears to hear.
I am sorry if I am stating 'the bleeding obvious' and you have tried all of the above.
Best of luck.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi rvod

Welcome to the board.

Thanks for your advice, this problem is a complete mystery.

I have tried using different brands of disk.

I will look to use your editing tip when the problem next occurs.

I am currently burning at the slowest speed possible as I have been told this could be a cause of the problem.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update for anyone who is interested.

I was told to burn at the slowest spped possible. Since I have done this everything seems to work, or am I just tempting fate !!
PaulEHudson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad to hear that your problem was solved otherwise it might have been worth sharing one such file to see what happened to it elsewhere.

Paul
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am now in the process of transfering everthing to a local media server as well as using a very cheap remote backup option.

My only problem now is how to retreive recordings from corupt / multi session CD's
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Recording and Archiving All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: