Return to Main Site   SearchFAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist   Memberlist   Join the Forum  Join the Forum  Profile   Profile  Log in to check your private messages   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  Log in 
My Earliest Radio Drama Memories

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Broadcasts from Previous Years
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carbonel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: My Earliest Radio Drama Memories Reply with quote

I was growing up in the 1950's and my earliest memories of Radio drama productions are of the many splendid plays and serials broadcast on BBC "Children's Hour" (scandalously axed in 1964). Particularly prominent was the adaptation of Rosemary Sutcliff's novel, "The Eagle of the Ninth" (published in 1954). The serial was introduced and narrated by David Davis, who also, if I remember correctly, dramatized the book for radio. It was transmitted first in 1956 or 1957 and I enjoyed it tremendously.

The first adult play that I remember listening to, as a fifteen year old teenager in 1962, was an adaptation of Richard Oke's 1929 novel, "Frolic Wind," on The BBC Third Programme (now radio 3). It impressed me greatly at the time.

Since 1981 I have been recording selected drama productions off-air and have an extensive collection on audio cassette and VHS tape.

After learning earlier on this year that so many plays and serials had been discarded and lost by the BBC, I have been attempting to catalogue my archive and transfer material to digital format. Unfortunately it's going to be a very long task!

Maurice Maeterlinck (1862-1949)

L'Oiseau Bleu (1909) V. ii
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Carbonel

Thank you for joining the forum. I assume it was also you who sent me your recordings list. I will use it to update the broadcast list.

Like you I remember when radio drama was just as important to the BBC as television broadcasts. I have just got a copy of this years Christmas Radio Times and find it so disapointing that the Radio 4 schedules appear much the same as any other time of the year. Whay happend to the 90 minute plays every night between 24th Dec - 1st Jan ? Not to mention the serials and other one off specials.

Regards
DG
PaulEHudson

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do recall that the THIRD programme had some of the better plays on it. They always seemed a bit more interesting. I cannot recall details alas.

Yes the Eagle of the ninth was a great piece and kept its interest throughout the series. Paul Temple too was always excellent. I am not sure that people listen to or watch many weekly episode stories these days.

Carbonel (etcher?) you must be a little older than me but with a better memory.

I am collecting the SNT plays and others but have nothing of my own - too dreamy to record things back then.

Paul
Bengt Mettyl

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Eagle of the Ninth Reply with quote

I remember this too. An acclimatised ex-legionnaire was heard humming the melody (we know as the tune to 'When Johnny Comes Marching Home') that was recognised in the story as being a legionary tune. On the strength of remembering and enjoying the radio play I bought a copy of the book.
Another play with the same Roman flavour was an adaptation of R.C.Sherriff's 'The Long Sunset', set at the time of the withdrawal of the Roman legions from Britain.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a play have in my collection (canít recall the name) of a writer who has been sent in to complete a now deceased authors biography of a Roman emperor Ė if you know what I mean !!

Anyway as he is writing, he seems to become possessed by the emperor and irrational paranoia ensues. I think it would have been a SNT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Broadcasts from Previous Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: