Return to Main Site   SearchFAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist   Memberlist   Join the Forum  Join the Forum  Profile   Profile  Log in to check your private messages   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  Log in 
Point Proved

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Current Radio Drama
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:54 am    Post subject: Point Proved Reply with quote

I feel so strongly about this that I have also posted a version on the home page.

The introduction on the home page, written when the site was first launched, makes the point that the BBC now only broadcast 90 minute dramas if they are Agatha Christie adaptations or “High Brow” social dramas. During November and December 2010 we have been treated to three 90 minute special dramas :

And then there were none Agatha Christie (now available in the shops)
The Gambler Dostoevsky
The Caretaker Harold Pinter

While these broadcasts are most welcome, why can’t Radio 4 take the gamble and give us something original and new.
PaulEHudson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fully agree here it is almost the same on that TV thingy. It's as if the BBC can only do "repeats".

Paul
Raymond McCarthy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does seem to be happening at the moment is that the 90 minute play has returned to Saturday afternoon's. I doubt it is the new thinking at the beeb, just a strange blip - but at least they seem open to making plays of that length for Radio 4 if the material warrents it.
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Raymond

I noticed this and hoped they may be trying a quite experiment. Wouldn't it be great to get one new 90 minute drama a week. Nothing like the old days but a major imrovement on recent years.

I also wrote to the hard of Radio 4 complaining about the Christmas Drama schedules, or lack of them - still no reply !!!
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a formal response from the BBC from my very clear and cogent complaint.

They sent me a questionnaire to complete !!!! Why Can't they undertstand my complaint ?

How insular and arrogant do they need to become. I love the BBC but they are too C**k Sure. Shame on those individuals who defend it.
JakeTucker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed this myself recently (90 mins plays) and was reminded of this post.
Because I was checking some dates on this site earlier I thought I'd have a look at the post again and say something about the recent spate. I see somebody beat me to it.
I have to agree with Raymond - I think it's just a blip. I did enjoy the two Radio 4 Michael Frayns (Skios and Headlong).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> Current Radio Drama All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: