Return to Main Site   SearchFAQ   Search  Search   Memberlist   Memberlist   Join the Forum  Join the Forum  Profile   Profile  Log in to check your private messages   Log in to check your private messages   Log in  Log in 
The Riddle of the Sands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> My First Saturday Night Theatre
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lordblueglass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: The Riddle of the Sands Reply with quote

My earliest Saturday Night Theatre - the earliest I recall at all well - was Erskine Childers' The Riddle of the Sands, back in 1994, although I must have been listening to plays well before then, as this was the first I decided to record and keep.

Listening in my bedroom, with silence in the rest of the house, I remember enjoying the close feeling of the play: it brought the sweep of the North German coast, the wind and the sea and the fog and the wide spaces, straight into the room, and still left one feeling as if the players were performing for my benefit alone.

The quality of the voices, effects and incidental music, while none of them being over and above the others, combined perfectly to create a thoroughly enjoyable whole, and in fact The Riddle of the Sands, which I had not hitherto encountered before in any form, has since been one of my favourite early 20thC works of fiction.

Lord Blue-Glass of Bristol
Director_General
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Lord Blue-Glass of Bristol

Welcome to the forum.

I remember The Riddle of the Sands very well. You are right about the closeness of the production. I really felt I was on the boat with them.
PaulEHudson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to listen to this again and let you know my thoughts
missluzy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of this, I know what DG means, its one of those stories where you feel you are part of the action
Roger Sansom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: "The Hollow Man" Reply with quote

Checking the invaluable list of Saturday Night Theatres, the first I heard was the adaptation of John Dickson Carr's "The Hollow Man" in January 1959. I can still hear 'Pierre Fley' asking "Or shall I send my brother?" (My memory has plenty of help as I had read the book before that, and at least once since, and there is a later radio version that exists on cassette.) I was already devoted to Carr's detective fiction, and still am.

I was thirteen, and remember that my parents were out. They probably needed to be out for me to be able to hear a radio play in the evening, as I should think it was before we acquired small radios that could be used anywhere in the house. (Funny that leaving a thirteen-year-old alone for the evening would be shocking now - then it was an opportunity to do something they would have thought old-fashioned, hear a radio play.)

And I heard the following week's as well, which was "Mr Rowl" - a story that I rediscovered much more recently on finding the novel in a charity shop.
0208 500 2341 or 0775 480 2426
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Saturday Night Theatre Forum Index -> My First Saturday Night Theatre All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: